Power over Ethernet Adapters
Power over Ethernet (PoE) is the ability for the LAN switching infrastructure to provide power over an ethernet cable to an endpoint (Powered Device). This allows for a much more efficient installation of Wireless Access Point. Maximum distance is typically 100m. Power over Ethernet (POE) is a technology that lets network cables carry electrical power uses 4 of the 8 wires.
Benefits of Power over Ethernet brings many advantages to a wireless network installation:
- Time and cost savings - by reducing the time and expense of having electrical power cabling installed. Network cables do not require a qualified electrician to fit them, and can be located anywhere.
- Flexibility - without being connected to an electrical outlet, devices such as IP cameras wireless access points, and wireless bridge antennas can be located wherever they are needed most, and re-positioned easily if required. (within 100m maximum distance)
- Safety - POE delivery is intelligent, and designed to protect network equipment from overload, under powering, or incorrect installation.
- Reliability - POE power comes from a central and universally compatible source, rather than a collection of distributed wall adapters. It can be backed-up by an uninterruptible power supply, or controlled to easily disable or reset devices.
GNS Wireless stocks a wide variety of power over Ethernet adapters including the following:
- Single Port 24V Power Over Ethernet injector
- Single Port 48V Power Over Ethernet injector
- Outdoor 5 Port POE Switch
- Outdoor 8 Port POE Switch
- 5 Port Ubiquiti Router with Power Over Ethernet
A digital security camera normally requires two connections to be made when it is installed:
- A network connection, in order to be able to communicate with video recording and display equipment
- A power connection, to deliver the electrical power the camera needs to operate
If the camera is POE-enabled, only the cat5e Ethernet network connection needs to be made, as it will receive its electrical power from this cable as well uses 4 of the 8 wires inside the single cat5e.
For more information on power over Ethernet injectors, please contact us today.